Write a review
- 1 roll dairy-free puff pastry
- 1 teaspoon vegan margarine (e.g. Cardin)
For the custard filling
- 1 litre dairy-free milk of choice (e.g. soy milk /oat milk /almond milk)
- 125ml Orley Whip dessert cream
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) alcohol-free caramel essence (Woolworths’ flavour is fantastic)
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- 5 heaped tablespoons cornflour
- Turn the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line an ovenproof dish (the size of a dinner plate) with vegan margarine (e.g. Cardin).
- Unroll the thawed puff pastry sheet and roll flat to fit the size of the dish.
- Cut the pastry into the shape of the dish.
- Place the pastry inside the dish and set aside.
- Make a thick custard filling: Mix all the custard ingredients together in a pot and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until thick.
- Cool slightly, pour the filling into the base and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and chill in the fridge to set.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon
- Tip: Use the same filling to make custard slices! Substitute the puff pastry for dairy-free cream crackers and layer the cream crackers below and atop the custard filling. Let it chill in the fridge and then ice your custard slices with a mix of icing sugar and water (use instructions on the packet).
- Recipe Credit: Toni Brockhoven from Beauty Without Cruelty
- Photo Credit: House of Vizion
Green Monday https://greenmonday.co.za/wordpress/