Chick (pea) Mayo Avo Smash
Chick (pea) Mayo Toasties
- 1 x can chickpeas (drained and skins removed)
- 1 avocado (pitted)
- 3 x stalks of celery (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoons of egg-free (reduced oil mayonnaise (optional))
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Salt & pepper
- Fresh herbs (sprouts or microgreens of choice)
- Corn cakes (lettuce leaves, wholegrain toast or whole wheat wraps to eat the smash with.)
- Mash up the chickpeas and avocado with a fork, potato masher or food processor until you reach a chunky consistency
- Add the chopped celery, mayonnaise, lemon juice, fresh herbs or microgreens and mix through.
- Season with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Serve on corn cakes, toast, in a roll, in lettuce cups or in whole-wheat wraps.
Recipe credit: Leozette Roode, The South African Vegan Cookbook Photo credit: Human & Rousseau/Myburgh du Plessis