Tempura Battered Mushrooms
Tempura Battered Mushrooms & dipping sauce
For the tempura batter
- 1/3 Cup of Cake flour
- 1 Heaped tablespoon of Corn Flour
- Pinch of Sea salt
- 1 Teaspoon of Bicarbonate of soda
- 2/3 Cup of Ice cold water
- 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- For the Dipping sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of Tomato Jam-i used homemade
- 4 Tablespoons of Reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider or Rice Vinegar
- 2 cm small piece of fresh Ginger (grated)
- 2 Small Garlic cloves minced
- 1 Small red chili chopped
- Olive oil for cooking
- Raw mushrooms (sliced (or any other raw vegetables such as carrots, zucchini, cauliflower or broccoli))
- Make the batter: Sift dry ingredients together and then carefully whisk in the wet ingredients.
- Make the sauce: Blend everything till smooth and heat up over low heat on the stove.
- Dip your sliced vegetables in the tempura batter and cover well with the mixture.
- Add a tiny bit of olive oil to a hot pan and fry your dipped mushrooms until golden brown.
- Transfer the mushrooms to kitchen towel to drain excess oil.
- Serve warm with dipping sauce on the side.
Photo and recipe credit: Pieter Kotze