STUFFED ACORN SQUASH
Stuffed Acorn Squash
Write a review
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked in veg broth and drained (see instructions)
- 1 cup brown lentils, cooked in veg broth and drained (see instructions)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground paprika
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons roasted nuts (optional)
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary, fresh
- Cut acorn squash in half. Chop off stems or tails so that it can lay flat.
- Leaving seeds inside, roast squash halves face down on a baking sheet at 200 degrees Celcius for
- 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn upside-down to remove seeds.
- Cook rice and lentils in vegetable broth. Drain and reserve liquid.
- In a large pan, cook onions and mushrooms on high till mushrooms
- release liquid.
- Add herbs and spices and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add lentils and rice and 1⁄2 cup remaining veg broth.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Fill squash halves with lentil mixture.
- If desired add roasted nuts or seeds for crunchy texture and additional protein.
- Top with chopped cherry tomatoes and fresh rosemary.
- Return squash halves to the oven at 180 degrees Celcius for 10 minutes before serving.
- Recipe: Culinary Specialist François Murphy, HSI-Canada
- Photo credit: HSI-Canada
Green Monday https://greenmonday.co.za/wordpress/