Write a review
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1¼ teaspoons salt, or to taste
- ¼ cup diced onions (about ½ medium onion)
- 1½ cups diced tomato (fresh or tinned)
- 1 2½ centimetre knob of ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 450g button mushrooms, halved lengthwise (or quartered if very large)
- 1 250g bag frozen peas, defrosted
- Combine the dry spices with 1½ tablespoons of water in a small bowl, and mix to form a paste.
- Put the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the onions and sauté until the onions are browned at the edges (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add the ginger and the paste of spices, stir to coat the onions, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the diced tomato. Stir and cook, scraping the bottom of the pan, for about 4 minutes, until the tomato has softened. If the tomato sticks to the pan excessively, add a splash of water.
- When the tomato has softened, add 2 cups of water and the salt. Stir and bring to a boil; then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms. Bring the mixture back to a boil, reduce the heat again, and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Add the peas, stir to combine, and cook for 5 more minutes over medium-low heat, until warmed through.
- Salt to taste, and serve over basmati rice.
- Recipe from Madhur Jaffrey via Not Derby Pie.
- Photograph Meredith Lee/The HSUS
Green Monday https://greenmonday.co.za/wordpress/