Mushroom Lentil Shepherd’s Pie
Mushroom Lentil Shepherd's Pie
- 1 450 g red potatoes
- 4 tablespoons Ole medium fat spread (vegan margarine)
- 1/2 cup 115ml unsweetened soy milk
- 2 carrots (sliced and quartered)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 170 g mushrooms of your choice (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup 225g peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups 450g chopped kale, chard or spinach
- 1 cup 225g cooked lentils, any variety
- 1 1/2 cups 340ml red wine
- 2 cups 450ml vegetable broth (stock)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes with the skins on in salted water until fork tender, about 25 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and peel if desired. Place the potatoes back in the pot with the margarine spread and mash with a potato masher, adding the soy milk 1/4 cup (60ml) at a time until desired consistence is met. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- In a large pot, sauté the carrots and onions in the olive oil. After 3 minutes, add in the mushrooms and continue to sauté until the mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and mix well until a paste has formed. Add in the wine and broth, stirring constantly, until the flour has dissolved.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and add the kale, peas, lentils, soy sauce, tomato paste, garlic and oregano. Stir and continue cooking on a light simmer for 7-10 minutes, or until the mixture reduces to a thick, stew-like consistency.
- Pour into a 9x9 baking dish and top with the mashed potatoes. Bake at 200 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden.
Credit: Leslie Durso