Write a review
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2-3 cups sparkling spring water
- 1 litre canola oil
- Vegetables sliced for tempura, such as baby marrows, cauliflower, broccoli
For the dipping sauce
- 2 red chillies, sliced
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/8 cup tamari
- Heat oil in a pot placed over high heat.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and water.
- Dip vegetables in batter and fry in batches. You’ll know the oil is hot enough when you insert a wooden spoon and little bubbles form around it. Place vegetable pieces on a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Combine all dipping sauce ingredients together in a bowl and serve with the tempura.
- Recipe Credit: Amy Hopkins
- Photo Credit: Micky Hoyle
- *Add one cup sparkling water to the mixture first. If it’s too thick, add more until the batter is like pancake consistency.
- *To test whether the oil is hot enough, insert a wooden spoon and if lots of tiny bubbles appear around the spoon, the oil is ready.
Green Monday http://greenmonday.co.za/wordpress/