Write a review
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine, plus 4 tablespoons for tossing the pasta
- ½ cup dried bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup egg replacer
- ½ cup soy milk
- ½ cup almond or walnut Parmesan
- Zest of 1 lemon and juice of ½ lemon (plus more juice to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt (reduce or omit for low-sodium diets)
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 450g linguine
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the margarine and stir in the bread crumbs. Stir until toasted. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. In a bowl, with a fork, blend the egg replacer with the soy milk, faux Parmesan, lemon zest and juice, salt, and pepper. Taste the sauce and if you want it more lemony, add more juice.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. When the pasta is just al dente, remove it from the heat.
- Reserve about 1 cup of the cooking liquid, drain the pasta, and return it to the pot.
- Toss in the remaining 4 tablespoons of margarine (for a lower-fat dish, use only 2 tablespoons to toss) and stir and swirl until all the pasta is coated.
- Stir in the egg replacer/parmesan/soy milk/lemon mixture and turn the pasta in it, adding a few tablespoons of the cooking liquid if it looks a bit dry.
- Place in serving bowls and sprinkle with parsley and the buttered bread crumbs.
- From the book The Cheesy Vegan by John Schlimm. Excerpted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright (c) 2013. www.dacapopresscookbooks.com.
- Photograph Amy Beadle Roth/www.ieatgrass.com
Green Monday http://greenmonday.co.za/wordpress/