Write a review
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 4 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated.
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 large red peppers, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup red wine
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Himalayan salt
- 3 x 400g tinned beans, such as black, borlotti, kidney and butter beans
- 1 to 2 cups vegetable stock
- Lemon zest and juice, for serving
- Fresh coriander, for serving
- Place some olive oil in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Sauté the red onion, celery and carrots until soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and spices and a little more olive oil if necessary and sauté for a further five minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, red peppers, tomato paste, vinegar and red wine and bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and cook for an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans and add enough vegetable stock to cover nicely. Simmer for another hour over medium low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Test seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Serve with a lemon wedge and a sprinkling of coriander.
- Recipe Credit: Amy Hopkins
- Photo Credit: Micky Hoyle
- You can add basmati rice to "veg" up this menu or if you’re feeding a crowd.
Green Monday http://greenmonday.co.za/wordpress/